2015 Able Muse Write Prize
Able Muse Write Prize (for Poetry & Flash Fiction) -- 2015
(2011 Results HERE ) | (2012 Results HERE ) | (2013 Results HERE ) | (2014 Results HERE )
$500 prize for the best poem, and $500 prize for the best short story (flash fiction), plus publication in Able Muse (the print journal).
Finalists in each category will also be considered for publication.
Entry deadline: February 15, 2015
Final Judge - Poetry:
Final Judge - Fiction:
Final Judge (Poetry): H.L. Hix
Final Judge (Flash Fiction): Eugenia Kim
- Blind Judging by the Final Judges (H.L. Hix for poetry, Eugenia Kim for flash fiction).
- Initial screening by the Able Muse Editors.
- Entries may not be previously published.
- Simultaneous submissions accepted as long as we're immediately notified if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Unlimited entries per person for one or both categories
- For poetry entries, all styles are welcome (metrical or free verse).
- For poetry entries, each entry may contain 1 to 5 poems maximum, but all the poems combined should not exceed 10 pages per entry.
- For fiction entries, each entry may contain 1 to two stories maximum (each story should be flash fiction/short-short-short under 1,500 words each, typed double-spaced).
- We prefer online entries, however, paper/snail mail entry is available for those who insist on the traditional submission method.
- If you wish to enter in both cateogries or if you enter more than once in one or both categories, then a separate entry fee and submission form must be completed for each entry.
- If you're entering by paper/snail mail, the manuscripts cannot be returned so, do not send us your only copies.
- For paper/snail mail entries, include an SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) to receive the announcement of the winners.
- The contests will be judged blind by the final judge, so:
- Author's name should only appear on cover page and nowhere else.
- Initial screening will be done by the editors of Able Muse.
- The final judges will received anonymized manuscripts (five to ten each depending and the number of total entries and their quality).
- The final judge will be instructed to disqualify any work that he recognizes. The entry fee the work thus disqualified will be refunded.
- Include on your cover page ONLY:
- the category of your submission— i.e. "poetry contest" or "fiction contest"
- the poems/stories titles
- the total number of lines for all poems combined / total word count for all stories combined. (For deriving line or word count, do not include, blank lines, the poem or story title, epigraphs in the line/word count.)
- the poet's/writer's name
- phone number, and
- email address.
- For paper/snail mail entries, send manuscripts in duplicate.
- Preferred method is our online entry form—
- DO NOT type or copy and paste your entry in the poem/fiction text box. Rather, upload your submission file from the upload field (accepted formats are: Text, RTF, Word, Wordperfect, PDF, HTML).
- Only send one file attachment with 1 to 5 poems or 1 to 2 stories in a single file, with the cover page prepared as described in the blind judging section above (do NOT attach a separate file for each poem or story! And the cover letter can be included in the same file as the poems or stories, but in the introductory page(s).)
- There should be no identification in the section of the manuscript pages that contain the poems or stories as described in the blind judging section above.
- Enter at http://www.ablemuse.com/enter-contest online.
- Second favorite entry method is via e-mail—
- Follow the instructions for the online submission method in (1) above, in addition to the following:
- Again, do not type your submission in the body of the email. Rather, attach your submission file to the email (accepted formats are: Text, RTF, Word, Wordperfect, PDF, HTML).
- The subject of the email should be: "<Your Name>: Poetry Contest" for poetry entries, or "<Your Name>: Fiction Contest" for fiction entries.
- Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org without any identification in the manuscript file itself as described in the blind judging section above.
- Least favorite entry method is paper by snail mail—
- The manuscript should be without any identification as explained in the blind judging section above.
- The cover page should be prepared as explained in the blind judging section above (on a separate sheet of paper, included with the poems or stories submitted).
- The manuscript should be in duplicate as explained in the blind judging section above.
- Send your entry to:
Able Muse Review
(Poetry or Flash Fiction) Contest
467 Saratoga Avenue #602
San Jose, CA 95129
- $15 for each entry which should contain a minimum of 1 poem, a maximum of 5 poems, but all the poems combined should not exceed 10 pages per entry).
- $15 for each entry minimum which should contain a minmum of 1 story, a maximum of 2 stories (stories should be flash fiction/short-short-short under 1,500 words each, typed double-spaced).
- No matter how you choose to enter (online or email or snail mail) you may choose to pay:
- Online ( right below!), OR,
- By check: Able Muse Review, and sent to the contest address indicated above.
- To enable us to match your payment to your entry, be sure to indicate the name you entered with (i.e. your pen name, etc), if it's different from the one under which payment was made, and this applies for online as well as check payment by snail mail.
Pay Entry Fee & Enter Contest Now:
ENTER THE ABLE MUSE WRITE PRIZE CONTEST NOW:
After payment, submit your poetry or fiction online at:
enter by email/snail mail as explained above: